Survey Details and Methodology - Egypt
- Fieldwork for the Egypt survey was implemented between July 8 and August 5, 2011 by the Egyptian Research and Training Center (ERTC), a Cairo-based research organization.
- The survey is nationally representative of Egypt’s adult population: the sample size is 2,297; includes 1,188 men and 1,109 women.
- All respondents are aged 18 and above.
- The sample represents all of Egypt’s governorates excluding the five (5) remote governorates of South Sinai, Northern Sinai, Marsa Matrouh, Red Sea and the New Valley (which represent 1.8% of the Egyptian population). As such, the sampling frame covered 98% of Egypt’s population. See map for regions covered in the survey.
- A total of 200 Primary Sampling Units were selected from the 24 governorates using the probability proportionate to size (PPS) selection method.
- A weight factor was introduced to bring the realized sample in line with the desired sample to adjust for minor discrepancies for observed age proportions.
- The margin of error is ± 2.04%.